About OSCAR (Oxford Suzhou Centre for Advanced Research)
OSCAR, the first overseas research centre of the University of Oxford, is working closely with the Suzhou Industrial Park and both academic and industrial collaborators in China to progress a range of exciting societal and economic development opportunities.
As a multidisciplinary research, innovation and technology centre, OSCAR focuses on research challenges and technologies that both complement the Centre’s location in Suzhou Industrial Park and capitalise on current Oxford research strengths. Research will initially be focused around the areas of biomedical engineering, biomedicine, advanced functional materials, electronic / optoelectronic / photonic devices, environmental technology, energy, mathematical and computational applications in finance and in health, and other related science and engineering disciplines.
The Centre is positioned in Suzhou Dushu Lake Science and Education Innovation District (SEID), a district in southern SIP with a high concentration of science, education and innovation activity. SEID is the prototype of higher education internationalization in China which hosts 32 local and foreign universities and institutions. The Centre, housed in a nine-storey building with a gross space of 20,000m2, offers flexible access to facilities for multi-functional activities such as labs, seminars, workshops, training, public events, and administration, etc.
Energy Storage and Conversion Group
Lead by Prof. Mauro Pasta, the energy storage and conversion group investigates materials chemistry and electrochemistry applied to energy storage and conversion devices.
Overview of the role
Reporting to Prof. Mauro Pasta. The post holder is a member of a research group with responsibility for carrying out research for the Energy Storage and Conversion group. We are looking for researchers with expertise, proven by a strong publication record, in one or preferably more of the following areas:
- solid state electrochemistry (including EIS, voltammetric methods, quartz microbalance)
- solid state materials chemistry
- batteries, in particular Li-metal and solid state batteries
- materials characterization including advanced imaging (i.e. FIB/SEM and TEM, spectroscopy and sample preparation) and X-ray techniques (i.e. XRD, XPS)
We are looking for well organised and self-motivated scientists, with the ability to manage the day-to-day running of a research project, to identify research objectives and to carry out appropriate research activities within a given timescale, demonstrating the ability to work co-operatively with colleagues in an extremely fast-paced and intellectually stimulating environment.
The post holder provides guidance to less experienced members of the research group, including postdocs, research assistants, technicians, and PhD and project students.
Application closing date: 31 March, 2020
- Manage own academic research and administrative activities. This involves small scale project management, to co-ordinate multiple aspects of work to meet deadlines
- Adapt existing and develop new scientific techniques and experimental protocols
- Test hypotheses and analyse scientific data from a variety of sources, reviewing and refining working hypotheses as appropriate
- Contribute ideas for new research projects
- Develop ideas for generating research income, and present detailed research proposals to senior researchers
- Collaborate in the preparation of scientific reports and journal articles and occasionally present papers and posters
- Use specialist scientific equipment in a laboratory environment
- Act as a source of information and advice to other members of the group on scientific protocols and experimental techniques
- Represent the research group at external meetings/seminars, either with other members of the group or alone
- Carry out collaborative projects with colleagues in partner institutions, and research groups
- Hold a relevant PhD, together with relevant experience
- Strong publication record in the areas mentioned in the overview of the role
- Possess sufficient specialist knowledge in the discipline to work within established research programmes
- Ability to manage own academic research and associated activities
- Previous experience of contributing to publications/presentations
- Ability to contribute ideas for new research projects and research income generation
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to write for publication, present research proposals and results, and represent the research group at meetings
- Experience of independently managing a discrete area of a research project
- Experience and both the ability and interest to teach or train others.
The candidates will be considered at both the Senior Scientist and Scientist position depending on qualifications.
Guidance for Applicants
Thank you for your interest in applying for posts at the Oxford-Suzhou Centre for Advanced Research (OSCAR). Please read the following tips to help you proceed with the application process.
Before the application:
Please read carefully the job description and selection criteria for the post for which you are applying at the OSCAR website: https://oscar.web.ox.ac.uk to determine whether you have the required skills, knowledge, and experience as advertised. Please DO NOT apply for the posts which are currently unavailable. We typically receive many applications for each post, and so you will need to show in a covering letter how you meet the essential criteria and the desirable criteria in order to be shortlisted for interview.
Required Application documents:
Please submit a covering letter and CV (both in English and in PDF) by email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email subject: the title of the post for which you are applying.
Email content: please include your contact information, name, telephone number, and any dates for which you would not be available for interview.
Covering letter (no longer than one page)
Use the covering letter to explain your motivation for joining OSCAR, and state how your skills and experience match these requirements. Please provide evidence that you have the skills, knowledge, experience, qualifications that match the requirements of the post. The strongest applications provide examples of previous work that demonstrate how you meet the essential and desirable criteria. Check your spelling and grammar; successful applications are typically proof-read to give the best impression to the selection panel.
Curriculum Vitae (CV, no longer than 8 pages)
Check that your CV is up-to-date and keep your CV within the page limit. Highlight the skills and experience that are relevant to the post for which you are applying. Avoid sending a generic CV; the strongest applications are those for which CVs are tailored for the needs of the post for which the candidate is applying. Give details of your education, employment history, publication record, lists of prizes, and voluntary experience.
After the application:
When you submit an application, the information you supply on your application will be provided to a selection panel, who will use it to assess your suitability for the post against the published selection criteria. You may be contacted via e-mail at any date regarding your application.
Your information is held securely in a database that is owned by OSCAR. The data will not be passed to external organisations or individuals other than those acting in a capacity as agents for OSCAR for software support purposes, or where an external body is party to the recruitment process.
When you submit an application to OSCAR you must confirm that you agree to these Terms and Conditions of Use, including the following declaration.
The information provided in the application materials is true and complete. I understand that any offer of employment may be conditional upon satisfactory screening.
I consent to be contacted by OSCAR at any date regarding my application.
I consent to the information given in this application being stored and processed in accordance with the data protection rules at OSCAR.
Thank you again for your interest in applying for a post at OSCAR.
Oxford Suzhou Centre for Advanced Research