Job Description and Selection Criteria职位描述和选拔标准
Chemistry and Biotechnology
Professors Mark Moloney, Jeremy Robertson, Luet Wong, Ian Thompson, Wei Huang
Mark Moloney教授、Jeremy Robertson教授、Luet Wong教授、Ian Thompson教授、黄巍教授
OSCAR, Building A, 388 Ruo Shui Road, Dushu Lake Science and Education Innovation District, Suzhou Industrial Park, Suzhou, Jiangsu Province, China
Grade and salary
A competitive remuneration package will apply.
Fixed-term (2 years in first instance, extendable for up to two further years by mutual agreement)
Laboratory Management in chemistry, microbiology, and analysis
The post is available from November 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter
Overview of the role职位描述
The OSCAR Laboratory Manager (LM) in Chemistry and Biotechnology will provide and oversee Laboratory Management for the Chemistry, Surface and Microbiological research team, and will report to the relevant PIs (Professors Mark Moloney, Jeremy Robertson, Luet Wong, Ian Thompson, Wei Huang) who lead this aspect of the OSCAR programme, and will liaise and work closely with the OSCAR Safety Officer.
牛津大学高等研究院（苏州）（OSCAR）化学和生物技术实验室管理员将为化学、表面及微生物研究小组提供实验室管理和维护，其将向负责OSCAR项目此方面事项的相关科研带头人（PI）（Mark Moloney教授、Jeremy Robertson教授、Luet Wong教授、Ian Thompson教授、黄巍教授）汇报工作，并将与OSCAR安全主管（EHS）保持联系和密切合作。
The LM will support the work of Research Scientists in the synthetic chemistry, microbiology, biotechnology and surface laboratories and ensure the successful operation of the chemical synthesis and microbiological laboratories, as well as ensuring the successful operation of the analytical suite (which includes separation (e.g. HPLC, SFC, GC, LC), spectroscopic (e.g. MS, NMR, IR, UV/VIS) and polymer (contact angle, GPC) instrumentation. The appointee will ensure that equipment in these laboratories is maintained in good working order, arrange for repair and replacement parts where necessary, act as a point of contact for maintenance contracts and engineer visits, and help to arrange the use of off-site facilities. In addition, the LM will arrange for and conduct the purchase and provision of laboratory reagents and consumables, solvents, gases, and items of consumable equipment; the maintenance and recording of the laboratory chemical and consumable inventory; and regular liquid and solid chemical and biological waste disposal. The LM will ensure that all these activities are done in accordance with local and national regulations. Full training will be provided on techniques and procedures as necessary.
实验室管理员将支持合成化学、微生物学、生物技术和表面材料实验室科研人员的工作，并确保化学合成和微生物实验室的稳定运行以及分析设备的正常运行，包括分离纯化仪器（例如，HPLC、SFC、GC、LC）、光谱仪器（例如MS、NMR、IR、UV / VIS）和聚合物仪器（接触角测量仪、GPC）。受聘人须确保相关设备处于良好的工作状态，并在必要时安排维修及更换部件、耗材；受聘人将担任维修合同及工程师到访的联络人，并协助安排使用非现场设施。此外，实验室管理员将安排并进行实验室试剂和耗材、溶剂、气体和设备的采购和供应；实验室化学品和消耗品库存的维护和记录；以及化学、生物的液体和固体废弃物的定期处理。实验室管理员应确保所有这些活动都按照地方和国家的规定进行。必要时OSCAR将为实验室管理员提供技术和程序方面的全面培训。
- Negotiate with and select suppliers, order, receive and maintain an inventory of chemicals, reagents, glassware, equipment and consumables.
- Ensure that the laboratory is in full compliance with the requirements for controlled chemical substances in accordance with local and national regulations.
- Ensure that the laboratory waste is disposed regularly and in accordance with local and national regulations.
- Ensure that the laboratory, its equipment and the associated analytical facilities are maintained and serviced, and kept in good working order.
- Oversee laboratory equipment maintenance contracts.
- Liaise and work with the OSCAR Safety Officer and Buildings Manager to ensure legally compliant and safe operation of the laboratory.
- Assist with safety inductions for new employees and ensure that risk assessments relating to compounds and procedures, and standard (safe) operating procedures for equipment are in place and adhered to.
- Support and facilitate the research as directed by the Chemistry PIs.
- Hold a Masters (MSc) degree in a relevant discipline such as Chemistry, Biological Science or Materials Science, or a Bachelor’s degree in any of these disciplines with at least 2 year’s work experience in a research environment.
- Be familiar with and have a track record in complying with relevant Health and Safety regulations.
- Be able to produce and maintain detailed and accurate records relating to laboratory operation.
- Be a motivated, enthusiastic, and organised person willing to work as a member of a team who can work with a minimum of supervision.
- Be able to work supportively in a laboratory environment.
- Be willing to learn new techniques.
- Have experience with diverse techniques in one or more of Chemistry, Microbiology, Polymer /or Materials Science.
- Have a track record of delivering project objectives against defined deadlines.
Guidance for Applicants
Thank you for your interest in applying for posts at the Oxford-Suzhou Centre for Advanced Research (OSCAR). Please read the following tips to help you proceed with the application process.
Before the application:
Please read carefully the job description and selection criteria for the post for which you are applying at the OSCAR website: https://oscar.web.ox.ac.uk to determine whether you have the required skills, knowledge, and experience as advertised. Please DO NOT apply for the posts which are currently unavailable. We typically receive many applications for each post, and so you will need to show in a covering letter how you meet the essential criteria and the desirable criteria in order to be shortlisted for interview.
Required Application documents:
- Please submit a covering letter and CV (both in English and in PDF) by email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Email subject: the title of the post for which you are applying.
- Email content: please include your contact information, name, telephone number, and any dates for which you would not be available for interview.
Covering letter (no longer than one page)
Use the covering letter to explain your motivation for joining OSCAR, and state how your skills and experience match these requirements. Please provide evidence that you have the skills, knowledge, experience, qualifications that match the requirements of the post. The strongest applications provide examples of previous work that demonstrate how you meet the essential and desirable criteria. Check your spelling and grammar; successful applications are typically proof-read to give the best impression to the selection panel.
Curriculum Vitae (CV, no longer than 8 pages)
Check that your CV is up-to-date and keep your CV within the page limit. Highlight the skills and experience that are relevant to the post for which you are applying. Avoid sending a generic CV; the strongest applications are those for which CVs are tailored for the needs of the post for which the candidate is applying. Give details of your education, employment history, publication record, lists of prizes, and voluntary experience.
After the application:
When you submit an application, the information you supply on your application will be provided to a selection panel, who will use it to assess your suitability for the post against the published selection criteria. You may be contacted via e-mail at any date regarding your application.
Your information is held securely in a database that is owned by OSCAR. The data will not be passed to external organisations or individuals other than those acting in a capacity as agents for OSCAR for software support purposes, or where an external body is party to the recruitment process.
When you submit an application to OSCAR you must confirm that you agree to these Terms and Conditions of Use, including the following declaration.
- The information provided in the application materials is true and complete. I understand that any offer of employment may be conditional upon satisfactory screening.
- I consent to be contacted by OSCAR at any date regarding my application.
- I consent to the information given in this application being stored and processed in accordance with the data protection rules at OSCAR.
Thank you again for your interest in applying for a post at OSCAR.
Oxford Suzhou Centre for Advanced Research